Father protected his daughter with a hug when their plane crashed and only she survived. He saved her

Parents have an extremely protective instinct towards their children and that could even save their lives in high-risk situations, as in the case of this young girl, who survived a plane crash thanks in part to her father’s heroic action.

Laney Perdue, 11 years old, was the only survivor of a tragic plane crash on Beaver Island, an island in Lake Michigan, United States during a trip with her father and three other adults.

Mike Perdue

The young girl was hugged by her father as the aircraft crashed at the Welke airport. Thanks to that, his body served as a human shield and Laney was able to get out of the delicate and risky situation alive, according to ABC News.

“It’s her last memory before the crash,” said Christina Perdue, Laney’s mother, who said in a statement on Sunday, Nov. 14, that her daughter was in stable condition after being admitted to a children’s hospital in Grand Rapids.

Mike Perdue

“We are heartbroken at the loss of my husband, father, brother, son and friend. He gave the best bear hugs, and I believe he grabbed our daughter and protected her. Our prayers are also with our island community and the other souls lost in the accident,” the mother added.

Laney’s father Mike was a real estate agent from Gaylord, who lost his life along with the other adults, couple Kate Leese (35) and Adam Kendall (37), when the plane was landing on Beaver Island from Charlevoix, about 32 miles away.

Mike Perdue

According to information provided by Detroit News, Leese and Kendall had recently moved to the island with the goal of opening a winery and tasting room.

“Almost immediately after we pulled into the marina here, we knew this was the level of quiet we were looking for. At night, there’s almost complete silence here. There’s no light pollution. You can hear every car (if one goes by). It’s the kind of place we had been looking for as our next spot,” Kendall, who is an attorney, said at the time.

Mike Perdue

Authorities are still investigating more details about the case.